“This super-tasty, quick noodle recipe is perfect when you’re feeling a little down in the dumps. ”
5 cm piece of ginger, 1 clove of garlic, 2 tablespoons low-salt soy sauce, 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar, 3 tablespoons sesame oil, 1 Chinese cabbage, 500 g fresh or frozen broccoli, 250 g medium egg noodles, 200 g mangetout, 4 large free-range eggs, olive oil, Jimmy's sate sauce/ Chilli Sauce (to serve)
1. Peel the ginger and garlic and finely grate into a large bowl.
2. Add the soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil and a pinch of black pepper, then mix to make a dressing.
3. Trim and shred the cabbage and put it into a large pan of boiling salted water with the broccoli (cut into florets first, if using fresh) and noodles to cook for around 3 minutes, then add the mangetout for a final minute.
4. Drain it all well, then toss in the bowl of dressing.
5. Fry the eggs in a large non-stick frying pan on a medium heat with a lug of olive oil until cooked to your liking (I like mine with a runny yolk).
6. Divide the noodles between bowls, pop an egg on top of each one, and serve drizzled with Jimmy's Sate Sauce/ Chilli sauce for that all-important added kick.
Using buckwheat noodles in this dish like you see in the picture is really nice – they’re a little bit more expensive but have a great flavour and texture. Just make sure you check the packet instructions in case they take longer to cook. Feel free to also ring the changes by adding any other fresh seasonal veg, or leftovers you have in the fridge.